Friday, May 20, 2011

Turkey, Bean and Veggie Chili

I have gotten a bit lazy with my blogging, not my cooking of course but my blogging. I have to force myself to keep up because I tend to create my own recipes and then if I dont write them out right away I loose them. So I need to get my behind in gear and catch up. This recipe is a great place to start because I make it all the time and when I finally give up my WW E-tools this gem will go with it. I make this all the time for lunch. It makes a ton, it is so filling and its the perfect dinner, and then eat for lunch for the rest of the week kind of meal.
**Notice the white rice? I admit I love slow cooked white rice. I gave it up for so many years and you know what, it really is OK to eat it every once in awhile. So I do. In moderation, and happily**

Turkey, Bean and Veggie Chili
from Weight Watchers online
8-- 1 1/2 cup servings
***5 WW Points PLus***

INGREDIENTS

2 spray(s) cooking spray

1 pound(s) Turkey, ground, 93% lean/7% fat, raw

1 medium onion(s), chopped

2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced

2 large carrot(s), chopped

2 stalk(s) (medium) celery, chopped

1 medium yellow pepper(s), chopped (you can use any color pepper)

1 item(s) (medium) bell pepper(s), orange-variety, chopped

1 Tbsp chili powder

1 Tbsp paprika

2 tsp Durkee ground cumin, or other brand

1 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp table salt

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional

29 oz fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth

29 oz canned diced tomatoes, with mild green chiles

15 1/2 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained

15 oz fat-free canned refried beans

DIRECTIONS

Coat a large pot with cooking spray; set over medium-high heat. Brown turkey, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 10 minutes; drain and set aside.


Coat a large pot with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add carrots, celery and peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne; stir for 1 minute.


Stir in broth, tomatoes, both types of beans and turkey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring every 5 minutes, about 35 minutes total. Yields about 1 1/2 cups chili per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment