Monday, June 6, 2011

Spicy Bean Burritos

For awhile I tried to make sure we ate one Vegetarian Meal a week. I need to get back into it, but it was so time consuming to find ones that I could make fast and that I knew would be tasty. I am still scared of tofu. I wish I knew someone who knew how to cook with it, so they could make me dinner and help me get over my tofuphobia. Until then its a lot of beans, beans and beans. I have made this meal a few times because I always have what I need, its fast, and if I make a batch I can eat it for lunch for a few days. It may not seem flashy but it's really delicious! Its a great topping for a salad as well.


Spicy Bean Burritos
borrowed from Annie's Eats

Yield: about 6 servings

****7 WW Points Plus****

Ingredients:

For the bean filling:

2 tsp. canola or vegetable oil

2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. minced chipotle in adobo sauce

1 tsp. ground cumin

¼ tsp. kosher salt

Dash cayenne pepper

1/3 cup water, vegetable broth or chicken broth

1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

6 tbsp. fresh salsa

For serving:

6 (9- or 10-inch) flour tortillas, warmed***2 points each***

1 Cup Reduced Fat Shredded Cheddar cheese

Diced tomatoes

Shredded romaine lettuce

Chopped green onions

4 Tablespoon Low-fat sour cream

Directions:

To make the bean filling, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin, salt and cayenne; stir, cooking just until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add the beans and the water or broth to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the salsa and mash the mixture with a spoon or fork.

Spoon about a third of a cup of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each serving with a pinch of shredded cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, green onions and sour cream. Roll the tortilla up tightly, burrito style, and serve immediately.

VERDICT--YUMMY meatless perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment