Monday, June 20, 2011

Tex-Mex Tabbouleh

I admit, I never had tabbouleh. The name sounds cool enough, but BULGAR, not so much. But I did buy a bag to add to another recipe so I had it in the house, this recipe kept popping up on my computer so I figured I would give it a shot because most likely I would end up tossing the rest of it in 2 years when I clean out my pantry.
So WOW, I cant believe I was nervous. We fought over the leftovers in my house and I lost when I was looking forward to them for lunch when I woke up in the morning, only to come down for breakfast and see the empty container in the sink. I was beat to the punch sometime around 10 pm the night before.
If you have ever wanted to try tabbouleh, this is a great recipe to start with because if you love tex-mex flavors it will be familiar to you, with a weird little twist. I loved it and cant wait to make it again. It can star as a main meal, a side dish to grilled chicken (like I did) or you could wrap both into a tortilla.
I cant wait to try some other flavors with the rest of my bag that now will not be tossed into the trash. They really do need to come up with a better name then Bulgar....Like Grits its getting a bad rap!
Tex-Mex Tabbouleh

From Weight Watchers

6 servings

***3 WW Points Plus***

Ingredients

1 cup water

3/4 cup(s) uncooked bulgur

1 cup(s) tomato(es), diced

1 cup(s) English cucumber, diced

1/3 cup(s) cilantro, leaves, fresh, chopped

3 Tbsp scallion(s), sliced

3 Tbsp fresh lime juice

2 tsp olive oil, extra-virgin

3/4 tsp table salt

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 cup(s) (sliced) avocado, Haas, diced

Directions

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in the bulgur and then remove from heat. Cover pan and let stand until water is absorbed and bulgur is tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. (I chose to follow these directions instead of the ones on the bag of bulgar)

Fluff bulgur with a fork and let cool to room temperature or until just slightly warm.

Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, scallion, lime juice, oil, salt and cumin.

Add cooled bulgur to bowl; toss to combine. Gently fold in avocado and let stand 10 minutes for flavors to blend.

Serve, or cover and refrigerate up to 6 hours. Let stand at room temperature about 10 minutes before serving. Yields about 2/3 cup per serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment