Sunday, September 18, 2011

Slow Cooker Chicken Burritos

Ureka I found it!!!!!!!!

What is this gem you wonder? I slow cooker recipe that I love. I usually am kind of "eh" about most crock pot meals. People seem to love them but "eh" most things are just OK. They get the job done and while they are easy and require no effort most times I am just....well you know "eh".
BUT....this is a GREAT recipe. I will make this all the time just because its so yummy!

Ok and so before you print this recipe out and you see I used Chicken Thighs, I must discuss.
I dont like to look at chicken thighs. They are well...gross. I end up cutting so much of the ick off of them. I almost just used chicken breast but I wanted to be brave. So I got em, chopped em up, tried not to cut every little speck of ick off of them. And I swear they were so juicy and delicious. I think the breast would have been too dry. So if you are scared of the thighs like I am, this recipe is not as scary and I think you should give it a whirl.
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito
borrowed from Weight Watchers
12 servings
****5 WW Point Plus****

1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced

1 small red onion(s), chopped

14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, with chiles

15 oz canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 tsp chili powder

1/2 tsp table salt

1/4 tsp dried oregano, crushed

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 pound(s) skinless chicken thigh(s), cut into bite-size pieces

3/4 cup(s) canned chicken broth

12 medium whole wheat tortilla(s), about 7-inches in diameter each

3/4 cup(s) shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese

Place garlic, onion, tomatoes, beans, chili powder, salt, oregano and pepper in a 3-quart slow cooker; stir well. Add chicken and broth. Cover and cook on low setting for 5 hours; drain off liquid (there should be about 6 cups of burrito mixture). 


To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup of burrito mixture down center of each tortilla; top with 1 tablespoon of cheese and fold. I ate these with a knife and fork instead of trying to pick them up. WAY too messy. Yields 1 burrito per serving.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic go-to crock pot recipe! I agree it is hard to find good slow cooker food. I really wnt to use it for the convenience, but I like delicious food. This one is delicious!

    Easy,easy, easy!

    I used chicken breast and it wasn't dry. I also used a taco seasoning packet I had on hand and black beans instead if kidney. I didn't substitute for any reason besides the fact that these were the items I had in the house.

    ReplyDelete