Friday, October 14, 2011

Spicy Black Bean Soup

SOUP!!!!!!

I seriously am addicted to soup. It is my favorite food I think. I had another black bean soup recipe and I swore it was on here, but alas it wasnt, which was actually a blessing since it caused me to search for another and I found this gem. This SOUP IS RIDICULOUS! It is so delicious and so perfect with some chips and makes a filling lunch. This will be heavily featured in my lunchtime rotation from now on. AND HELLO, its Weight Watchers which makes me even happier.

Spicy Black Bean Soup
borrowed from Weight Watchers
***4 Weight Watchers Points Plus***
1 1/2 cup serving

INGREDIENTS

1 spray(s) cooking spray

1 medium onion(s), finely chopped

4 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced

45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste

1 tsp ground cumin

14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth

10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilis, such as Rotel Tomatoes

11 oz canned yellow corn, drained

DIRECTIONS

Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.

Add 2 cans of beans to the sautéed onion mixture, add broth, red pepper flakes and cumin. Use your immersion blender to blend together until mostly smooth.

**If you dont have an immersion blender, you can divide the mixture in 1/2 and use a regular blender to blend, but PLEASE get yourself an immersion blender, I have said it before and I will say it again, its one of my favorite tools in the kitchen

Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.

1 comment:

  1. Wait, where does the chicken stock come in?

    I love black bean soup, but I've never added corn to mine. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete