Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Gnocchi, Sausage & Spinach Soup

I have a slight love affair with Gnocchi. I first had it in Grand Cayman about a million years ago. It was in this rich Alfredo sauce and it was like something from heaven. Anytime I come across a recipe that uses them in a different way, I book mark it....or Pin it (if you are familiar with Pinterest). I had this soup pinned for about a week before I had to make it. I have made it twice since then. It smells amazing when you cook it and it tastes even better. It is the perfect cold winter hearty soup for the soul.

This is the worst picture ever-I made it for lunch on New Years Eve and we were so anxious to eat it, I just snapped a quick picture and don't even think I looked at it. I should have snapped a new one when I made it again this weekend, but it was during halftime of the Giants playoff game and well, the food blog wasn't 1st on my brain either! But I am giving my ringing endorsement of this soup, so trust me on this one even in spite of the bad pic.

Gnocchi, Sausage & Spinach Soup

borrowed from Cinnamon Girl Recipes

Ingredients:

1 yellow onion, diced

1 roasted red pepper, diced

olive oil, for sauteing

sea or Kosher salt and fresh black pepper

1 pound Italian sausage, ground or removed from casings, hot or sweet --* I used Sweet/Turkey

4 cloves, garlic, minced

1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed between fingers

32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth

1 pound gnocchi-*I cut the gnocchi in 1/2 or 1/4's to give more per bite

2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, rough chopped

3/4 cup half & half or heavy cream --*I use fat-free

1 heaping tablespoon fresh basil, chopped--*I never have this

Parmesan cheese, fresh grated, for serving

Directions:

1. In a large sauce pan or soup pot sauté onion and red pepper in a couple of tablespoons olive oil over medium-low heat until tender. Season well with salt and pepper. In a separate, large skillet brown the sausage, breaking it apart as it cooks. Add garlic to onion mixture and saute until fragrant.

2. Drain sausage and add to onion mixture along with the basil and chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper, simmer for 20 minutes.

3. Add gnocchi and spinach, bring to a simmer and cook until gnocchi puff up and start to float (check package for cooking time). Add half & half and fresh basil, bring to a simmer for three or four minutes. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment