Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Classic Pot Roast

Mama loves a good pot roast.
I think I make it once a winter, and I just love it. I searched around for a different recipe then I usually use which is my moms from growing up, just to see if I could improve upon it.
This was just the perfect recipe and I wont need to look any further. The smell was incredible. Since I made it just about 3 months ago, to say it was memorable is saying something about a meal. I also remember taking the La Cruset top off of the Dutch Oven after it has been in the oven and totally burning my hand....must remember to pay attention when I am cooking!
It was perfect cold weather yummy goodness

Classic Pot Roast

Ingredients

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

2 cups coarsely chopped onion

1 cup dry red wine

4 thyme sprigs

3 garlic cloves, chopped

1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth

1 bay leaf

4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces

2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces

Fresh thyme leaves (optional)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350º.

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until tender.

Return browned roast to pan. Add the red wine, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover pan and bake at 350° for 1 1/2 hours or until the roast is almost tender.

Add carrots and potatoes to pan. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf from pan; discard. Shred meat with 2 forks. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment