Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Creamy Tortellini Soup

YUM!!!
I was determined to have this soup for lunch and it was originally supposed to be a crockpot recipe but I didn't have that kind of time. I wanted to eat lunch before dinner.
Easy peasy to make this in a pot as well. And I suggest you do because this soup was kick ass! I want to add some white beans next time. I think that would make it even yummier.
If you want the crockpot version click on the BHG link and let me know how it goes!

Creamy Tortellini Soup
adapted from BHG.com

INGREDIENTS:

1-1 ½ - 2 oz. envelope white sauce mix ( I used Knorr Alfredo Sauce)

4 cups vegetable or chicken broth

1 cup chopped onion

4-cloves garlic, minced

½-teaspoon dried basil, crushed

¼-teaspoon salt

¼-teaspoon dried oregano, crushed

1/8-teaspoon cayenne pepper

1-7 - 8 ounce package dried cheese tortellini (I used Barilla Whole Wheat Fresh)

1-12 ounce can evaporated milk

6-cups fresh baby spinach leaves or torn spinach

Ground black pepper (optional) (but I feel you need it)

Finely shredded Parmesan cheese (optional) (extra cheese is never optional)

DIRECTIONS:

Heat your soup pot over medium heat and add oil.

Add onion and sauté until softened.

Add garlic and sauté for an additional minute until garlic is fragrant.

Place dry white sauce mix in your soup pot.

Gradually add the broth to the white sauce mix, stirring until smooth.

Add basil, salt, oregano, and cayenne pepper and stir.

Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes until it thickens.

Stir in tortellini and cook following package directions but **reduce by 3 minutes**

Stir in evaporated milk and fresh spinach.

Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes to thicken.

If desired, sprinkle individual servings with black pepper and Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment