Monday, June 29, 2009

CHINESE CHICKEN NOODLE SALAD

The sun was out AGAIN!!!
So it was the perfect night for a light and tasty salad that has become a favorite in my kitchen. I do cut some corners and changed it from the original but I think I probably made it better. To answer some questions I have gotten from those who kindly check out my blog--Yes I do take the pictures myself, I only make one plate look pretty and that's usually the one I eat. Doug gets his thrown on a different plate. Oh, I bought a few single colored plates to take the pictures, so no I dont have 4 sets of dishes and I bought some new ones today at Marshall's so hopefully it wont get boring and my favorite...yes if you would like to be invited for dinner just let me know when and what I can make you :)
CHINESE CHICKEN NOODLE SALAD
inspired by a recipe of the same name from Eating Well Magazine May/June 2009

INGREDIENTS
1 3-ounce package low-fat ramen-noodle soup mix
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil

3 tablespoons orange juice
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
5 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
5 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1/2 cups shredded green cabbage or packaged cole-slaw mixture
2 cups baby romaine or mixed greens
1 medium carrot, shredded
3 scallions, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Crumble ramen noodles onto a large rimmed baking sheet (discard seasoning packet). Add almonds, sesame seeds and canola oil; toss to coat. Bake for 5 minutes. Stir, then bake until the noodles are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes more. *****You MUST watch this closely. Depending on the heat of your oven they might brown in 5 minutes. I have burned it twice so its very easy to go from just barely golden to burnt. I strongly recommend buying more then one pack of ramen just in case the 1st time you make it. If they weren't so good in the salad I would say forget it, but they make a nice crunch so you cant leave them out.
Let cool on the pan on a wire rack.

3. Meanwhile, combine orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil in a small bowl or jar with a tight-fitting lid. Whisk or shake until the sugar has dissolved.

4. Just before serving, combine the shredded chicken, cabbage, greens, carrot and scallions in a large bowl. Add the toasted noodle mixture and the dressing; mix well. Can actually be dressed ahead of time, I think it gets better if it sits a bit
VERDICT:
OK so I have to say it, I love this salad. I could easily eat it for lunch or dinner 3-4 times a week. The original version poached chicken in ginger but I don't think the salad lacks flavor by skipping that step. I like salads because they are quick & easy and I think that just adds another step that I don't have time for. The original recipe also doesn't add the greens and has more cabbage but I think that is too much cabbage for one salad and the extra greens don't add any calories but makes it a bigger dinner salad. Maybe someday I will try the original version but I think its perfect the way I make it.




No comments:

Post a Comment