Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Saucy Baked Chicken

Is it me or does it seem like June flew by? I think it might have been all the rain! We wanted to just get it over with. But it has been glorious being outside the past 4 days. YAY summer! I got 6 new cooking magazines so there are lots of new recipes to try out in the coming weeks. The inspiration came just at the right time. While these are all new dishes to the blog I have been making things that I have made multiple times and I get bored not having anything new to try.

Tonight I made a recipe that has become a staple. I always say I am going to alter it and put my own spin on it, but it never happens because its so good as is I just leave it be and enjoy how simple it is. Its great to have a baked chicken recipe that is easy & produces a nice juicy piece of chicken. And the sauce is so good on all types of starch, its too good to waste it.

Saucy Baked Chicken
borrowed from Lauren's Kitchen who borrowed it from someone else
****WW Points Plus 7 Points****
INGREDIENTS
· 4-6 chicken cutlets
· 1 medium onion, sliced
· 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
· 4 TBSP all purpose flour
· 2 TBSP lemon juice
· 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
· 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
· 1/4 tsp pepper
·
Preheat oven to 450.Pour oil into a casserole dish. Add chicken, onion and mushrooms, turning to coat with oil. Bake 5 minutes; turn chicken over and stir vegetables. Bake an additional 5 minutes.Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk flour into chicken broth. Add vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper, stirring well.When chicken has cooked for 10 minutes, add broth mixture to casserole dish, cover with foil and bake 10 minutes. Remove foil; stir vegetables and bake, uncovered, until sauce bubbles and is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.Heat broiler. Turn chicken over. Place dish 6 inches from heat and broil until chicken just starts to turn golden, about 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.

VERDICT:

I LOVE this recipe! It kind of tastes like something I would order in a restaurant because I love balsamic anything. I do omit the mushrooms because I have never gotten over my fear of fungus on my plate, but I don't miss them and neither does anyone else in my house. Its a keeper! I have always wanted to add some roasted red peppers on top, maybe some spinach & mozzarella cheese. Possibly some diced tomato and Mozzarella would be good too. Just hasn't happened yet. Maybe you can try it and let me know




Hope you had a lovely Tuesday...tomorrow is Taco Bake and Corn Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment