Wednesday, July 1, 2009

TACO BAKE

Since I am trying to get Jackson to eat his dinner again I am trying to tempt him with all this favorite dishes so I carefully chose tonight's meal knowing he couldn't refuse it. Works every time. Its kind of funny I would never think that this of all things would be his favorite since he is usually anti-ground beef and well he hasn't been eating hardly any dinner at all. But tonight he cleared his plate (almost) close enough to make me happy!
TACO BAKE
I actually have no idea where this recipe came from

INGREDIENTS

Ingredients
* 1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey, or ground chicken -)
* 1 packet taco seasoning
* 15 oz. tomato sauce
* 8 oz. seashell pasta (I use medium shells but have tried large too)
* 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened in microwave (I used low fat)
* 1/2 cup sour cream (I usually use more like 1 cup of light sour cream)
* 8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1. Brown ground beef, drain. Add taco seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
2. In the meantime, cook pasta according to directions. Drain.
3. Mix softened cream cheese and sour cream in separate bowl.
4. Spray bottom of 9x13 pan. Put pasta in bottom of pan.
5. Spread cream cheese mixture over pasta ( I kind of mix it in)
6. Spoon ground meat mixture over this. (I mix this in too)
7. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top. ( I used reduced fat but it always melts a little weird)
8. Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before serving


I don't think this is a very good picture and it doesn't look very good, but that is what it looked like out of the oven
YUMMY close-up
VERDICT:
So I have made this before which means we obviously like it. Next time I going to sprinkle some of the taco seasoning in the cream cheese/sour cream mixture. I think that needs a little flavor if you don't mix it together enough. But that is really the only thing I would change. I had planned to serve it with a corn & black bean salad but time was short tonight and the kids just wouldn't let me cook anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I tried this one and absolutely loved it! The hubby love it too, seeing as how he is both a taco man and a casserole man. I like to have a few dishes of this style (very few ingredients but tasty flavors) to throw together on nights when I'm not feeling very creative but still want to dazzle him through his tummy. This dish will definately be added to the list!

    ReplyDelete