Monday, March 28, 2011

Mini Frittatas

I have not been a fan of eggs, well ever. I have been known to eat a quiche, but that is about as far as I could go. I make scrambled eggs for my kids and hope they taste ok, because I cant even taste test them. I am trying very hard to find recipes for things I dont normally eat in my everyday life, that might help to change that. This is one of those recipes. After reading the reviews, they seemed super easy, that I could make them ahead and reheat for a quick breakfast, and I could put lots of things in there to hide the eggs. PERFECT!
Mini Frittatas with Ham, Cheese & Spinach
adapted from Cooking Light
makes 12 muffin sized servings
**** 1 WW Points Plus per serving****

Cooking spray

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

2/3 cup chopped reduced-fat ham (about 2 ounces)

1/3 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (I didn’t have these so I left it out)

1/8 teaspoon dried thyme

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

8 large egg whites

2 large egg

1 cup fresh spinach sliced thin

Preheat oven to 350°.

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add ham; sauté 3 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add ham mixture, stirring with a whisk. Spoon mixture into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. I used a large ladle to scoop it in. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until set.

VERDICT: These were great. I actually messed them up a little (shocking I know) because I doubled the eggs but not the ham and cheese mixture. I actually think they worked out fine and kept the point as 1 per serving. I might add some more spinach next time, and maybe some garlic to the onions. Oh and salt, a pinch wouldnt hurt. My next batch this week with be with some diced tomatoes and maybe feta instead of cheddar. The possibilities are endless and for 1 point per serving, you cant beat that, perfect for any buffet table too.

No comments:

Post a Comment