Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Chicken Stew

I am a little more in love with my Crock pot then I used to be. Mostly because of recipes such as this. It was so easy and while I made a HUGE mistake when I threw it all in....it still came out delicious in spite of me being a total bone head.
***I used an entire 1 pound bag of beans instead of 1 cup, I did have to add a ton more liquid because the beans were too hard and thankfully I had a lot of cooking time left when I realized what I did, but it still came out great


Chicken Stew

borrowed from Martha Stewart Living

Ingredients

1 cup dried pinto beans, rinsed

1 jar (11 ounces) mild or medium salsa (1 1/2 cups)

2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)

Coarse salt and ground pepper

1 medium red onion, chopped

1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), chopped (will add 2 next time)

1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for serving

Directions

In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, stir together beans, salsa, chiles, flour, and 1 cup water. Season chicken with salt and pepper; arrange on top of bean mixture. Scatter onion and bell pepper on top of chicken.

Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours. (Do not open lid or stir.)

Remove chicken from stew; shred into large pieces and return to stew. Serve topped with sour cream and cilantro.

OVEN METHOD--I am adding this so when I forget to start the crockpot I can still make it :)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Follow step 1, using a 5-quart Dutch oven or large pot, substituting 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed, for dried beans, and increasing water to 2 cups. Cover pot and bring to a simmer on top of the stove. Transfer to oven, and cook until chicken is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Proceed with step 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment