Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake

I realized since Pinterest has entered my life, I have begun to rely on that to collect and organize my recipes. So this poor blog has been neglected. I dont even know if anyone reads this thing anymore, but if I dont update it soon with the 26 (gasp) recipes I have been cataloging to save I will never get it done and I am afraid they will be lost forever and any changes I made to the originals will be lost forever. So I am going to buckle down and get it down. Today is the day, and maybe tomorrow. Being able to sit outside in the sun while the kids kill each other.....I mean "play" doesnt hurt my motivation to get it done either. So off I go.......

Cheesy Chicken & Rice Bake
slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is

serves 4-6

2 cups shredded chicken breast or diced grilled chicken

4 cups cooked brown rice

3/4 cup frozen corn

1 -15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 1/2 cups low fat sour cream

1 can of Rotel drained

1 tsp. Chili Powder

1 tsp. cumin

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 cup grated cheddar & monterey jack cheese (low-fat cheese works too!) + more for topping if desired

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly to combine. Make sure the sour cream and cheese is mixed in throughout the entire bowl. Transfer to an oven-safe dish and top with extra cheese . Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.

As suggested by the original poster of the recipe....To make this process easier, I always have cooked rotisserie chicken on hand, and use Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice. If you have those two things, this meal can be throw together in a matter of minutes and doesnt taste like it at all.

VERDICT:

I maKe this recipe a lot. I always have the ingredients in my house and while my kids dont eat the actual "bake" they eat all the components of it so I can easily deconstruct it and they will be thrilled. They are so weird in their old age that they will eat all the things in it, but not mixed into one dish.....annoying yes! But I should be happy my kids eat Chicken, Rice and Beans. This is the perfect weeknight meal in our house and it will continue to stay a staple

No comments:

Post a Comment